BREEAM-NL In-Use (BIU) is a method for periodically measuring and improving the sustainability of existing real estate. Use of this method is recommended if you want to gain insight into the sustainable performance of your existing real estate, regardless of its age. The method measures three separate components, which you can have certified:
- ASSET: how sustainable is the building ?
- MANAGEMENT: how sustainable is the building managed ?
- USE: how sustainable is/are the user(s) of the building ?
It is not mandatory to measure or certify all parts. The choice is yours. A certificate obtained is valid for three years, after which it must be applied for again. As BREEAM-In-Use pioneers from the very beginning, we can provide you with practical support:
- Making the methodology your own: where is it used for, how should I interprete the requirements? What should I pay attention to when collecting the required evidence?
- Drawing up a baseline measurement, recommended if you want an indication of how sustainable your property is at the moment. Part of our baseline measurement is an overview of sustainable measures that you can include in a long-term maintenance plan. We concentrate on measures that lead to a more sustainable building with little cost and effort.
- Supervising during your certification process.
- Periodically assessing whether you are still on course with your green ambitions: are operating costs falling as expected? Are there opportunities to improve the green score?
As with BREEAM new construction, the Dutch Green Building Council has an assessment guideline available for BREEAM certification of existing real estate. The guideline applies the same sustainability categories as for BREEAM new construction projects (Management, Energy, Materials, Welfare & Health, Transport, Waste, Water, Land use & Ecology and Pollution). For each category, the underlying requirements (=credits) focus on existing real estate. The more requirements are achieved, the higher the BREEAM NL-In Use score.
BREEAM-NL In-Use is an easy accessible instrument, especially meant to get started yourself. We are happy to help you.
Would you like to know more about our experiences with BREEAM NL In-Use and what we can do for you? Contact Lizette van Zuilen (+31 683 44 3363) from our office.